Social networking site for stock pickers
Category: Social Networking | Industry: Finance
Beginning from late 2008 until now, our team of two RoR developers help a US-based startup client design, develop, deploy, upgrade and maintain a web-based application that serves as a social networking platform for stock brokers, where they can share stock forecasts, etc.
Interesting experience includes
- Using Insoshi open-source social networking RoR framework as the basis for the application.
- Using the Yahoo Finance API to access the most current stock information real time.
- As we have launched the first beta version, we utilize the best practices of SVN with branching, merging, and tagging.
- Using Fusion Chart instead of the usual OpenFlashChart or GoogleChart as it offers more graphing functionalities.
- Implementing Liquid templating engine so that the staffs of the company can generate their own HTML email with a certain set of allowable data.